Saturday 13 September 2008

Volunteering Here I Come!

I will be starting in a volunteer position on Monday with a project here called Minjeni. They have three departments/focal areas; Health, Orphans and Women. I'll be working with the women. Right now it sounds like we will be carrying out a series of sex ed and human rights seminars. I'm not sure at this point what other work I will be doing. What can be outlined depends on the director of the individual sites but I already know that I'm going to break the rules if condoms are not to be discussed. I'll break the rules until I get reprimanded and then just claim ignorance.

It's pretty open and volunteers can, if they have the desire and wherewithal, to implement any number of programs. I'm working mainly with two other volunteers, Amy, who I share a room with and Evelinn, a woman who has been here multiple times and is very much a driving force in this project. I like them both and really look forward to working with them. The villages we go to look amazing and on a clear day I will have one hell of a view - right over Mt. Kilimanjaro!

It's only been a week but I like it here. The people at the hostel are really mellow. A big group of us went out last night and it was a blast. We went to a local nightclub that actually played good music and it was such a release to be able to dance like a mad woman. The only down side was towards the end of the night a group of dancers came out for their "international" dancers show. Turns out it was a group of six Kenyans scantily dressed shaking their bums! The three women had very little more on than a bikini and a thong one at that. It was not my thing and I have to admit I thought it was degrading. We all snuck out after a bit. Not the way I would have liked to end the night but all in all it was a great night.

Dona arrived today. It was good to see her and have my traveling buddy back. It nice to have her see where I'm going to be for the next couple of months. She's heading home on Wednesday and dreaming about Taco Bell. I have to admit, I would kill for regular taco. I'm also craving In N Out, Round Table, Beach Hut Deli Nachos, Rich's ribs, and, of course, chili cheese dip. I'll have to throw a welcome back party for myself and everyone can bring a classic dish that I've missed so much. Don't worry, I'm starting the list now!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just caught myself up on all your blogs... I'm so amazed at all the adventures you are having. So many of them are so "moving" and I can just picture myself there with you. You are so fortunate to be doing this Kate... you are creating lifetime memories that most people will never come close to having... I'm sure your travels will be life changing in some ways, and I'm so happy for you for being able to do this.
Miss you much.
Love, Chelan