Wednesday 10 September 2008

Another Religious Thought

I keep thinking of the old joke that goes..."There is a flood in a small town. A man climbs on his roof to avoid the rising waters. He prays, 'Dear Lord, please save me from this rising water.' A moment later a man in a boat comes along and says, 'Jump in and I can save you from drowning." To which the man replies, 'No, if God wants me to live he will save me.' So the man in the boat, shocked, continues on his way to help others. Then a helicopter comes along just as the man's feet begin to get consumed by the water. The helicopter pilot shouts down, 'Quick, grab the rope and I can save you from the rising water.' Again the man replies, 'No, if God wants me to live he will save me.' Eventually the water rise above the man's head and he drowns. When he comes face to face with God he asks, 'God, I have been dedicated to you my whole life and sacrificed much in your name. Why did you not save me?' God looks at it with a look of puzzlement and responds, 'What do you mean? I sent you a boat and a helicopter!'

You may think I'm nuts for comparing this joke to the situation here but, if you are a believer, God gave humans intelligent. He made us curious, explorers, discoverers. He made us (at least some) scientists. Ultimately, it could be argued he made us be able to fight and protect ourselves against diseases. So, what will God say when many meet him and say, 'God, I have been dedicated to you my whole life and sacrificed much in your name. Why did you not save me?' Will he reply like the joke, 'What do you mean? I provided you with all that you needed to protect yourself - vaccinations, medicines, and even condoms!' (Condoms, in this case, being the proverbial boat)

Why are people so afraid of sex and, more specifically, contraception? I don't know. Its such a crazy world.

Please provide comments. I'm interested to hear your thoughts, no matter what they are.

2 comments:

fernsanddaisies said...

I read your other post yesterday and was shocked about the religious sects that preach under the guise that what is preached is appropriate for all. I am saddened about the no contraception rule which is totally irresponsible. How can they do that to them under the cloak of religion. This sickens me too. I do believe in the creator....but not under the personal intepretation that do things one way and you will be saved or lest you be damned. You have opened my eyes Kate and can only begin to understand how helpless you must feel at times. Will be happy when I see you again in November.

Love, Nadine

fernsanddaisies said...

Thinking of you today Kate. You are a wonderful woman.

Love, Nadine